The Mind & Seeing People For Who They Truly Are

Welcome back! It has been a while since I have been back on here! I hope you found your holidays to be pleasant, and are enjoying the new year. This semester of school has been quite interesting thus far. Before I expound on my discoveries, I would like to share two books that I think are worthwhile and can change the way many of us may view and see others and the world. The first book, "The Mindset", by Carol S. Dweck. This book has taught me more about the way I view the world and the challenges that are constantly arising. How many of you find that when something difficult is at hand you find yourself trucking through mud and going as far as you can... then find yourself giving it all you can and saying, "I tried my best".  Recently, I took my first math exam for the semester. Math is one of the subjects that I have found to be challenging. As a child I despised math and struggled, I even had a teacher that asked me, " If I was stupid?",  when I had answered the question incorrectly. You can imagine my confidence level from that point on. I was set in a fixed mindset that I was just not cut out for the math world and I would always struggle with the subject. It was not until my earlier years of college that I began to see the shift and change in the way that I saw myself and the capabilities and adapted the attitude of,  I CAN DO when it came to math. I found that I went from a C/D student to an A student. What made the difference was two things. The first was my outlook on math altogether. I began to see that if I practiced and asked questions ( I use to hate asking questions for fear of attention being on myself, and now I think I'm the student who has a million questions) then I would begin to understand the equations and do the problems correctly. I also had a teacher who praised my work, rather than my character. " You worked hard on this problem didn't you?" or " I can see that your taking extra steps in this problem, revisit this problem with this formula and then let's see what you get?" She could have easily said a generic, "good job", "your awesome" or " no, that not right". She took the time to allow my mind to grow, and accept the challenge and continue to push forward, and not give up. Revisiting my earlier scenario I prepared for my exam, even had a tutor help me prepare, and in the end, I did not have the score of desire. My mind retracted a bit and I slipped back into my old thought patterns. I then stopped midway and remembered the importance of my new found growing mindset. What problems did I miss? What can I change now so that I might understand the concept for next time? It's not all about the scores and passing, I realize how important it is to understand and DO! I realized how this will in return help me to get the "good score".  I have been inner battling the "good me and bad me" when in reality it is about challenging the mind and allowing it to grow (growth mindset)!
The second book that I highly recommend, "The anatomy of peace", by The Arbringer Institute. You can download your first ebook free, and it is well worth the investment of your time. Let me clarify that I have begun the book and am halfway through. Though, I have learned more about the way that I see individuals as human beings rather than objects. This has taught me how I view my family members and those around me. How many times have you gone into a public setting whether it be a restaurant, grocery store or market, library, etc. Have you found yourself to be in the autonomic mode, of greeting the person getting your items and moving forward.  Perhaps you have been the one on the receiving end where others march in with a sense of entitlement and demand what they are searching for. How has this made you feel, like a human... or more like an object? What if we took the time to ask a few questions and treat others more like human beings? We all have different professions in life, and we most definitely want to treat others with the utmost respect, if we actually practiced the golden rule, then perhaps our hearts would knit together in unity, rather than be at war.
This past December I was in contact with the Twin Falls Refugee Resettlement center. My heart aches for those that are displaced all over the world, due to humans hearts being at war. I knew that there was something to be done here in little ole Rexburg Idaho. I decided to begin gathering "luxury items" for those in need, especially during the holiday season. I decided to spread the word through social media and the outpour of love was incredible. Some of the items gathered were clothes, hygiene items, toys, etc. We ended up having an extensive load of items that were well received by our newcomers! It was interesting to see those that welcomed the idea of providing for families in need and those that were more cold and unattentive. It only makes sense to me that our own eyes portray people more as objects rather than human beings. I created a challenge for myself and extended the challenge to those who are willing, to see others as the Savior would, as children of God.
 My kiddos working hard and getting back on the bull! They had to re-build this several times as it fell over. When we praised their work, rather than a generic good job... their mindset grew and they accepted the challenge to keep going! 

Comments

Popular Posts