Communication & Problem Solving

       Communication, “use of language and nonverbal signs to create a shared meaning between two people.” (Miller, 2017).  I think one of the most imperative ways that social creatures can engage with one another is through effective communication. I have come to comprehend and fully understand that as human beings the meaning of communication we convey to others depends on more than our intention. There are several encompassing factors in the way we communicate. I learned this week in my FAML 160 class the stimuluses in conversations are as follows, words (14%) of the message, tone (35%), and nonverbal (51%).  Ally Isom author of, Faith-Centered Dialectics: Talking About Differences Transforms, allows society to comprehend four substantial principals, “Words matter, people matter, you matter, we matter.” I really enjoyed her online article and I encourage individuals to follow the link here below and read her inspiring words. https://www.fairmormon.org/conference/august-2016/faith-centered-dialectics . Ally uses an analogy that makes perfect sense to me in how mortals communicate currently today.             
“There were in the freezing north woods two porcupines huddled together to keep warm. But when they got close, their quills pricked each other and they had to move apart. They needed each other for the warmth, but they needled each other with their sharp quills. Aren’t people often like those porcupines? We need each other, but we often approach the solution from completely different directions. And when we start to get close and work together we inadvertently poke and hurt one another. Working together requires care and patience; otherwise, someone gets hurt.” (Isom, 2016).”
I have expressed before the importance of words and how we use them is vital when it comes to communication. The tone is a crucial factor, and how many times has this proven to lead or end a conversation? I can remember when I have communicated with various individuals and their tone of voice has led me to either engage in conversation or completely tune out and even shut off my listening ears. I think that if we clearly know what we are trying to accomplish and allow the other individuals to feel validated the tone of the voice can be either a slicing sword or a delicate flower.
What I found to be most alarming are the statistics on nonverbal communication. I’m not sure if individuals really comprehend how damaging this can be when communicating with others. I think many can relate with nonverbal cues, such a nod, or raise of the eyebrow, or smirk. Perhaps some may relate with the less subtle cues such as a look, and that look is one that can make you feel a bit uneasy. It is one that says, “I’m ticked, and you know you are in trouble.” I know that look all too well. It’s interesting my parents each had their own versions of this look and I KNEW I WAS IN BIG TROUBLE! What I find most thought-provoking is that I adapted this same method of communication with my own children. They know when they have crossed the line and the look says it all. Nonverbal cues can also actually be verbal such as using small short phrases, mmm-hmm, or hum? It can even be a series of sounds, grunt, pssh (the sound of air leaking from your tires, my dad would literally ask me if I had an air leak), argh, etc.  Can you imagine when a snarky connotation is provided with these cues? These kinds of cues drive me crazy when individual’s express them.  Internally I’m trying to process what they are thinking? Are you annoyed and ticked off and are internally screaming leave me alone? Or are you sidetracked and just agreeing to agree? Do you see where this can get misconstrued? What often happens is that we begin with a thought or feeling, and our brain is the encoder, when we send the message there can be static, (nonverbal cues, aloofness, background noise and outer and inner distraction) and then the receiver will try and decode the message.  Look at the following Diagram below. 

 I have learned how significant it is to sate the emotion that you are feeling.  From many wise owls throughout my life I have learned that anger is a secondary emotion, it is often hiding the true emotion (fear, sadness, anxiousness, etc.) Dr. Hiam G. Ginott author of, “Between Parent and Child”, provides key concepts when conversing with our children, and I believe can be effective when conversing with one another. “1. We accept the fact that we will sometimes get angry in dealing with children. 2. We are entitled to our anger without guilt or shame. 3. Except for one safeguard, we are entitled to express what we feel. We can express our angry feelings provided we do not attack the child’s personality or character.” [48]. I have found that when I express my anger in these ways it allows for a better understanding of what I’m expecting and how I’m feeling. It allows the receiver to know I’m upset and does not leave them trying to guess what is going on internally.   

I have been working on listening more and bridling my tongue. The tongue being one of the strongest members in the body can really slice through to the very core. Sometimes, people just need somebody to listen to them, and not fix them. This is a challenging thing for me to embrace, I love to engage in conversation and try and share what I know, and provide words of comfort. However, I have learned when people ask then they shall receive (meaning my tidbits of knowledge). What if we were to wait…to be directed upon by the higher power that we find comfort in? Well, I believe we would begin to see marvelous things being to happen in our lives, and the way we communicate. What if…
               


Not all nonverbal cues are bad... sometimes we all need to have a little fun!  




Comments

Popular Posts