Fathers and Financing

 “Fathers be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too “(Jack Johnson)


Studies have shown that in the United States 39% of American children are born into the world without a father in the home, what hurts my heart greatly is that 70% of those children are African American.
My mind has been swirling with thoughts about the importance of fathers being in and part of the family system, and the recognition of their work outside the home. Growing up my father worked hard outside the home to provide for our family of five. My father taught me and my siblings the importance of challenging work in and outside the home. I can remember cultivating the yard and learning the importance of proper care. As my sister and I grew in age and maturity and my brothers grew in strength and knowledge our roles began to shift. The girls stayed inside and helped mom with indoor chores and assignments. The boys focused on outside chores and yard work. However, during the week my siblings and I would rotate on a few inside chores throughout the week.  I can remember on Sundays the boys would take turns in helping with the dishes after our family meals.
It was my parents who taught me how to create roles within your own family system. They insured that we as a family were to follow certain rules to allow the roles to be properly placed. I’m grateful for their example it has helped me to better understand how a family system can properly function. It was not perfect; however, it was what the Scott family needed.  Now, some may question how do I properly establish a functioning family unit. I know I have! One of the most important things to realize is that you and your spouse have come from different family backgrounds. Perhaps they may be similar, regardless you will find differences. The way your own specific family roles are established is to be created by, yes that is right, both of you, and in unity. This may sound familiar… that is because the family system and the way it functions is the root or source to the answer to many of life’s problems.
If we look at the early 1800’s, what was the primary job that society thrived off… farming. The families would all work together in wholesome recreational settings. They would work hard and enjoy recreational activity (working, and working together) while doing their daily routines.  They enjoyed the time spent together. Family members would spread themselves out throughout the day inside the home and outside. I could see the family members teaching while out in the fields of labor. While some may be taking a few hours to prepare meals, while others would help tidy the home and hang laundry. Yes, all members including males. Where in the world does it say that men cannot help within the home because it will cause them to forfeit their man cards? Yeah, it doesn’t, so working together is imperative to creating a harmonious fully functioning family system.
In the late 1930’s a big industrial change occurred, “The Industrial Revolution.” This was where the creation of the separation of life and work began. Feast or famine, along with major health concerns were growing. Families began to leave the farm life and seek homes and jobs in the ever-growing population within the city. Work is now seen as drudgery and life or “living the life” is more blissful.  Its no wonder though why the family roles began to deteriorate. When dad was outsourced from the home working 8-12 hours plus a day (still may be) it began to take a toll on the family. The training that dad once provided is absent and the children would not learn the skills that would help mold and shape the children.  
 What was even more alarming being the children were beginning to be outsourced for work to help supplement incomes within the walls of the home. Which then left the mother home, and house work changed. Life began to lose meaning and the mother found the indoor chores in beautifying the home insignificant. If she could not trade her skills on the homestead for value, she would need to outsource her skills and gain the value or meaning elsewhere.
I understand that this is not the case with all. I believe that some mothers may have to work to provide a living for their family.  However, what about those who want to help supplement the income by just working a few hours part time?  A scenario was provided in my FAML 160 class of a traditional family in which the father worked 45 hours a week receiving 42k a year. The mother worked part time 32 hours a week and received an average of 32 hours a week. The family met with a financial planner and anxiously anticipated the results in the financial savings they were accruing each year. Can you guess what it was? They numbers were calculated with all the monies going in and expenses going out, and the final amount of savings was… 41,500. Wait, that was not saving any money in fact they were losing money. The money that was spent in day care and the times loss with her children, was indeed a grave combination.  The understanding of a budget and the money going in and coming out was not comprehend.  I believe it is possible to live off a one-person salary. For example, in America a family of four could modestly live off a one-person salary avg. 51,300 a year.  Which is below the U.S. Census Bureau. How do you do it?  A few sources, that I think are very resourceful, Dave Ramsey and his steps in how to budget. Another source, Marvin J. Ashton, One for the Money. These two complement each other well and can open doors and avenues for financial success.
Living in the City has been challenging. I miss our little Tidwell farm. I miss the recreational work that my children accumulated. My husband and I have had to change the way our system is functioning in our new home town. We have found that we need to be more creative in finding ways to allow us to all work together. Some of my class mates suggested that you turn on music that will allow the children to gain more enthusiasm when working together. Some have found that they create a game in which the family engages and interacts. What are some of the things that you do or have found to be successful in your family unit? One thing that we did is start a small garden in the backyard. My husband wanted to allow the children and I to cultivate not only our small garden… but each other.

What if we adopted the motto of,
"Creating a family structure that meets its family needs rather than what is culturally acceptable.” (Miller 2017) I wonder what mighty change might take place in the family?

Comments

Popular Posts